Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Cyprus suspends processing of Syrian asylum applications as boatloads of refugees continue arriving -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Cyprus suspends processing of Syrian asylum applications as boatloads of refugees continue arriving
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 06:29:43
NICOSIA,Burley Garcia Cyprus (AP) — Cyprus said Saturday it’s suspending processing all asylum applications by Syrian nationals because large numbers of refugees from the war-torn country continue to reach the island nation by boat, primarily from Lebanon.
In a written statement, the Cypriot government said the suspension is also partly because of ongoing efforts to get the European Union to redesignate some areas of the war-torn country as safe zones to enable repatriations.
The drastic step comes in the wake of Cypriot President Nicos Christodoulides’ visit to Lebanon earlier week to appeal to authorities there to stop departures of migrant-laden boats from their shores. The request comes in light of a 27-fold increase in migrant arrivals to Cyprus so far this year over the same period last year.
According to Cyprus Interior Ministry statistics, some 2,140 people arrived by boat to EU-member Cyprus between Jan. 1 and April 4 of this year, the vast majority of them Syrian nationals departing from Lebanon. In contrast, only 78 people arrived by boat to the island nation in the corresponding period last year.
On Monday, Christodoulides and Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati called on the European Union to provide financial support to help cash-strapped Lebanon stop migrants from reaching Cyprus.
Just days prior to his Lebanon trip, the Cypriot president said that he had personally asked EU Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen to intercede with Lebanese authorities to curb migrant boat departures.
Although the EU should provide “substantial” EU support to Lebanon, Christodoulides said any financial help should be linked to how effectively Lebanese authorities monitor their coastline and prevent boat departures.
Lebanon and Cyprus already have a bilateral deal where Cypriot authorities would return migrants attempting to reach the island from Lebanon. But Cypriot Interior Minister Constantinos Ioannou has said that Lebanon is refusing to hold up its end of the deal because of domestic pressures.
Lebanon — which is coping with a crippling economic crisis since 2019 — hosts some 805,000 U.N.-registered Syrian refugees, of which 90% live in poverty, the U.N.’s refugee agency says. Lebanese officials estimate the actual number is far higher, ranging between 1.5 and 2 million. Many have escaped the civil war in their country which entered its 14th year.
Ioannou this week visited Denmark, Czechia and Greece to drum up support for a push to get the EU to declare parts of Syria as safe. Doing so would enable EU nations to send back Syrians hailing from those “safe” areas.
The Cypriot interior minister said he and his Czech and Danish counterparts to draft an official document for the EU executive to get a formal discussion on the Syrian safe zone idea going.
Additionally, Ioannou said he hand his Czech counterpart agreed on a sending joint fact-finding mission to Syria to determine which areas in the country are safe.
However, U.N. agencies, human rights groups, and Western governments maintain that Syria is not yet safe for repatriation.
___
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (981)
Related
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Jay Ellis Reveals What Needs to Happen for an Insecure Revival to Happen
- Selena Gomez Proves She’s a “Texas Girl at Heart” With Glimpse Into Family Fishing Trip
- Channel Nature Into Your Wardrobe With The Fashion-Forward Gorpcore Trend
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Berlin holds funeral for human bone fragments held by the Nazis to grant peace to all the victims
- Tom Sandoval Has Not Moved Out Despite Ariana Madix Split
- Amazon Vacation Shop: 17 Affordable Travel Essentials for Your Next Trip
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- This $89 Walmart Suitcase With 14,900+ 5-Star Reviews Proves That Affordable Luggage Can Be Reliable
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Jennifer Garner and Son Samuel Affleck Have a Slam Dunk Night Out at Lakers Game
- Vanderpump Rules Star Lala Kent Slashes Price on Raquel Leviss Makeup Collab: EVERYTHING MUST GO
- Japan tops defending champ U.S. 3-2, wins World Baseball Classic: Best moment in my life
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Cher Reveals She's Working on New Music With Boyfriend Alexander Edwards
- Transcript: Pivot co-hosts Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway on Face the Nation, March 19, 2023
- How Arie Luyendyk Jr. and Lauren Burnham Defied the Odds to Become a Bachelor Nation Success Story
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
The mysteries of Johannes Vermeer
Beirut protest sees tear gas fired at retired officers as economic crisis leaves Lebanese struggling to survive
Find Out Who the Daisy Jones and the Six Cast Used as 1970s Music Inspirations
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look
Proof Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Are Still Hollywood's Most Amicable Exes
Netanyahu announces pause to judicial overhaul plan after days of strikes that threatened to paralyze economy